Most of the allure of digital marketing is attributed to its profitability. Virtually anyone can set up shop here and reap profits if they play their cards right.
Digital marketing is not a get-rich-quick scheme, however. It takes effort and careful planning to set up a viable revenue model in the digital marketing industry.
Among the first cards, you will have to play right is choosing how you make money in your online niche. For those of you new to the term, your niche in digital marketing is the avenue of business that you choose to specialise in.
Put simply, it’s a market category whose target demographic you hope to leverage into profitable gains. If you don’t have a proper niche in mind before you set out, then your launchpad is faulty right from the start.
Picking out your niche can be a little trickier than you think. Remember, you’re not just choosing what you like, you’re choosing something for the long run.
Your passion and your career can be two separate things. Ideally, you should strike a balance between liking your niche and being able to spin enough money from it. In other words, it’s equal parts logic and magic!
A niche is defined by a few primary factors:
- The nature of the niche itself (what it deals with)
- The competition in the niche
- The target audience in the niche
You will need to account for all three of these factors before deciding on your niche.
Why do these factors matter? Let’s take a look.
- Your niche’s nature determines how effective promotion in that field will be. Basically, the more appealing it is, the easier it will be to leverage. There’s a reason it’s easier to market pop culture than technical products.
- Niches can get very competitive as a direct result of their popularity. Every influencer wants to stand apart from the crowd in a bid to stay relevant. It can get pretty heated at times, so it’s important to pick a niche where you can stay afloat in the long run.
- Finally, having a sizable target audience is one of the defining factors of a niche. It’s a factor that directly links to its profitability over time, while also accounting for its scope for growth. Though you can pitch your digital tent anywhere, remember that not every niche is the same size!
Now that you have a basic understanding of the concept of niches, it’s time to explore deeper concepts. Obviously, the number of niches you can choose runs the gamut from healthcare to hotels and tourism. Each niche has its own allure and USP to it.
However, you should definitely give your niche decision some thought before you begin planning in earnest.
Making Money In Online Niches
Let’s be real, you want your digital marketing venture to be profitable for your brand, right? Money and revenue is a big factor that comes into play here. The truth is, any niche can be profitable with the right tools and just a bit of luck and timing.
You don’t want to leave your success entirely up to chance, do you? You want reliability and a guarantee for success.
To get there, you need to do your homework on the most profitable niches with respect to brand value. It’s not just about whichever niche guarantees the most cash upfront either. Consider it an investment for your future!
Not all niches pay rich dividends at once. Some require meticulous planning and groundwork, which is subject to factors beyond just the audience demographic itself.
To help you out in that regard, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of potential niches that you can use as a perfect launchpad for your digital journey.
Remember, these needn’t align completely with your interests, but if you like what you see, then go ahead and take the plunge!
Disclaimer: No matter what niche you pick, if you’re not dedicated to seeing your brand shine, then the niche can’t bail you out. The amount of effort you have to put in is something that’s non-negotiable in these cases. It all begins with you, not with the niche!
Also, do note that this list is not ranked in any particular order. Yes, these are social media’s best blog niches to make money (and other platforms), but that doesn’t mean one is better than the other!
20 Best Niches to Make Money Online
1. Video Games
This might sound gimmicky at first, but it’s a multi-million dollar industry. Just take a look at platforms like Twitch and Discord to see how much popularity the gaming industry has gained in recent years.
The field is also vast, with many different options available for you to pitch your tent.
Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Mobile Gaming. Relatively cheaper to set up, with a lot more diversity.
- PC Gaming. This field is unique because it lets you switch lanes as a PC build expert as well. The array of games before you are also vast.
- Console gaming. More aligned to a particular brand and style, but profitable nonetheless.
The majority of your revenue will come from YouTube and other streaming services, through paid sponsorships by those in the field and through creator programs by developer studios.
- Diverse and always abuzz
- Gives you space to explore creativity
- Helps you capture and hold the attention of a millennial audience
- Creator programs are a great way to cement your stature.
- Revenue may not be consistent if no games are coming out.
- This can lead to getting typecast
- Expensive to sustain in some cases.
This niche gives you the thrill of travelling and telling exciting stories of your journeys, all in one. Many resorts pay influencers nowadays to come and stay in exchange for promotion on their digital handles. Having travel bloggers write about their hotspots to a vast audience is also great publicity for a country or city.
The types under this niche are:
- Travel blogger
- Tourism influencer
- Cost-based (budget, luxury)
The primary revenue source for your brand will come from your digital avenues themselves, at least until you find your footing.
Later on, you will get deals from other brands for sponsorships, based on your reputation.
- Exciting lifestyle
- Can reach a vast audience
- Different ways to present content
- Always on the move
- Gaining traction can be tricky
- High-risk, high reward niche
3. Motivation & Success
With this niche, there’s no dearth of options you can explore. You can motivate millions of people to be the best versions of themselves. This audience will grow to become your biggest strength. It’s a niche that lets you speak from the heart and touch many people to achieve their dreams.
The types include:
- Soft skills
- Personality training
- Life coaching
- Corporate training
Since you’re selling lifestyle tips, your revenue will come mostly from the ads you run and the marketable goods and services you sell.
- Very easy to set up
- A great way for personal branding
- Appeals to a vast audience
- Revenue options can be limited
- A constant need for reinvention
- Need to post consistently to hold your audience.
Food is a niche with universal appeal. It’s also one of the top niches for blogging On top of that, there are so many cuisines you can opt for! The competition can be stiff, but with the right steps, you can rise to the top as a food influencer online.
The types of influencers here include:
- Experimental cooks
- Cuisine-specific expertise
The revenue options here are endless, because of how monetizable food is. You can take commissions from your followers for specific recipes, have a YouTube channel and even sell cookbooks online!
- Easy to establish a presence
- Constant and universal demand
- Easy to gain a following
- High competition
- Need for diversification
- It May not be sustainable in the long run
This may sound similar to the motivation and success niche, but it’s quite different. As a lifestyle influencer, you reach the pinnacle of personal branding. You are selling a way of life all your own.
Since this niche is sort of a jack-of-all-trades type, it is truly up to you as to what niche you want to sell to your audience. It can be anything from productivity to staying healthy and fulfilled, but it has to be your own!
As far as revenue is concerned, you will earn mostly by personal branding and selling commodities to your audience. How much you get depends on how much you market.
- Very flexible niche
- Can be monetized easily
- Works to your strengths
- Takes a while to gain traction
- Becomes one-note if not reinvented
- Entirely revolves around you.
6. Wellbeing and Fitness
This is a niche that never goes out of the trend. Everyone wants to stay fit despite a busy lifestyle, and this niche leverages that to the hilt. You choose your training style, and inspire others to follow suit! You can choose among fields like:
- Core workouts
Your revenue can come from sources like partnerships with fitness brands to your own YouTube channel that shows workouts.
- Great scope for growth
- Addresses a universal need
- Easy to set up
- High-traffic blog niche
- Can lead to being typecast
- Deals may be few and far between
- Interaction with the audience is limited.
This niche is big money, but it returns just as much as you might invest. Plus, once you’ve cemented your reputation, you’ll be cruising in popularity. It’s life in the fast lane!
The lanes you can choose are:
- Car maintenance
- Utility car reviews
- Sports Car enthusiast
As for revenue, you can expect to earn a little later in your career as an automobile influencer. You can even strike partnerships with actual car makers for hefty sums.
- Good money once set up
- Variety in the niche
- Great respect among your audience
- Fairly pricey to set up
- Requires constant audience interaction
- A niche that is not in your control
With this niche, the sky’s the limit. Smartphones are a booming market, with options ranging from budget to high-end smartphones.
You can shift focus based on your audience, through content like:
- Phone reviews
- Software overview
- Tips and tricks
The revenue you make from this niche will primarily be from your digital marketing platforms and YouTube channel. Once you gain some traction, you can partner with phone makers (even big names like OnePlus) to review their phones with early access.
- Highly diverse niche
- Connects to the millennial audience
- One of the best blog niches to make money
- Can be pricey
- Requires frequent updation
- Puts the older audience out of your reach
The Internet is an excellent place for people to start learning. Why not put yourself on the map as someone to learn from? Education as a niche takes your knowledge to teach countless others.
You can teach things like:
- Life Hacks
You can create revenue from this field by floating your own LMS and asking people to sign up for your classes. You can also get plenty of sponsored posts and videos!
- Very versatile
- Easy to set up
- Good deals and monetization
- Can become very one-note
- Only targets a particular audience at once
- Places the onus on education
In the fashion niche, your style statement as an individual comes out to play. There’s a vast variety of options that you can explore in this niche, such as:
- Haute couture
- Business fashion
Revenue will mostly come from whoever is willing to pay you to represent their clothing line. Aside from this, there’s always the income you will get from your Instagram feed and social media handles.
- Touches upon a universal interest
- Always stays with the trend
- Good money
- Can take a while to gain traction
- Fairly expensive
- Requires constant work to stay in the loop
11. City Culture
Why not take your love for the city and transform it into a profitable niche? You could attract an audience of both locals and foreigners, while also keeping people in the loop on city happenings!
- Cultural events
- Tourist sites
- Local businesses
You can gain a chunk of your revenue precisely from these small businesses themselves. By giving them a shoutout, you can make a nice profit! This factor makes it one of the best blog niches to make money.
- Brings you closer to a solid audience
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to research about
- No reach beyond a certain demographic
- Revenue options are less
- Dependent on the city activity where you live
Land has been in-demand since time immemorial. There’s always an active market for real estate, which you can leverage for your benefit.
- Neighbourhood spotlight
- Property review
- Developer in focus
Revenue will come primarily from your social media channels alone. However, your operational charges will be fairly minimal.
- A constantly active niche
- Good scope for growth
- Few revenue options
- Highly localized
Sport is a niche that garners a huge audience across borders and even continents. You pick your sport based on your interests and cater to that specific audience.
The revenue you get from being a sports influencer will come from sponsorships either from fan clubs or even merchandise sellers, along with your own social media revenue.
- Dynamic field
- Easy to create content for
- Polarized audience
- Can get monotonous in the off-season
People are always hungry for more interesting content, whether on the big screen or off it.
There’s plenty of opportunity in this niche, such as:
- Filmmaking study
What about revenue? You get paid mainly by your digital marketing efforts. At times, you can also get paid for reviewing films for specific platforms.
- Ample opportunity for different content
- Potential to garner a vast audience
- Reputation takes time
- Possibility of getting typecast
There’s a lot going on in the world at any point of time, and the world needs honest opinions. Why not weigh in with your opinion as an influencer?
Revenue will primarily come from sponsored posts on particular topics that people pay you to write.
- Great for personal branding
- Flexible content calendar
- Can be polarizing
- Payment can be sporadic
16. Art and Craft
As an art influencer, the world is your canvas! Show your work to a vast audience using the brushes of your choice, such as:
- Art Tutorials
- DIY crafting
- Art Showcase
Revenue options are varied. You can get paid for commissioned art pieces, or even from other brands as a design consultant!
- Great diversity
- Express your creativity
- Highly competitive
- Will require constant updation
People both young and old are looking to invest and save their money wisely across many avenues. As an influencer, you can chip in with your expert advice on smart money management.
Your roles can be:
- Fund Analyst
- Investment Guru
- Economy Buff
When you’re talking money, since your operating cost is relatively low, your digital marketing revenue should help you get by.
- Flexible posting schedule
- Great way to attract a vast audience
- Can become very one-note
- Highly analytical and predictive
18. Career Counseling
What if you could help people get their dream jobs with your advice?
What if you tried being:
- Job Advisor
- Education Counselor
- Soft Skill Tutor
Your revenue will mostly come from service commissions from followers. You can also gain tie-ups with agencies once you cement your stature.
- A niche with constant demand
- Scope for growth
- Earnings can be sporadic
- Heavily based on prediction
This age-old art form is an ideal way to express the creativity within you. The possibilities are limitless!
- Poetic Writing
- Review writing
Revenue can come from writing columns for online portals and publications. You can also make money through ads on your blog!
- Extremely versatile
- Good for personal branding
- Consistent effort required
- Pays a little less
20. Digital Marketing
Why not try your hand at teaching the tools of the digital trade themselves?
- Content Marketing
Revenue from being a digital marketing influencer comes from the commodities your market.
- Great to establish your personal brand
- Empowers your audience
- Highly competitive
There is no shortage of ways to make money online niches that you can explore to set up shop as a bonafide digital marketing influencer. Picking one is the first step towards having a promising career, so go ahead and take the plunge!
🤔 Q: What are the types of blogs that make money?
✅ Ans: For blogs that make money, you want to target popular niches like movies, fitness and cooking, where commissions are easy to come by.
🤔 Q: Is making money online in a niche too competitive?
✅ Ans: Honestly, it all depends on where you establish yourself in the niche. The further you reach your influence, the more competitive it gets!