How does google sort through billions and billions of web pages to give you the most accurate and appropriate search result in less than 0.5 seconds? The answer to this question is the Google Hummingbird Algorithm Update and it does way more than that.
The hummingbird algorithm affects over 90% of all regular google users. Now, why did google need to go to such lengths in the first place? The hummingbird algorithm came into action in the year 2013 and before that search, specific keywords were generating results that weren’t accurate. The search results were returning what the user used to type. Moreover, the results lacked in-depth answers, content and resources required for an extensive query. The search intent was not something that was considered while displaying results.
However, when google introduced the Hummingbird Algorithm in 2013 on its 15th anniversary it was a game changer. The update was named Hummingbird because of its fast and precise nature. The algorithm impacted the search results for billions and billions of queries and delivered an extremely personalized search result. The algorithm started focusing on the intent of the user. It added depth to the search results and ensured that the user received the most appropriate answer for their query.
Hummingbird was a rewrite of Google’s algorithm. Even though the core algorithm remained the same it is known to have components of the pre-existing algorithm, It anticipated the need for searching on mobile devices by enabling conversational searches. The algorithm was created to provide the user with accurate information in a limited amount of time.
It signified Google’s commitment to its users in providing services that were made with a sophisticated understanding of the searcher’s query to give them an accurate and appropriate result. In simple words, the hummingbird algorithm solved a very big issue that all users were the facing-the issue of finding relevant answers.
The Impact of Google Hummingbird Algorithm Update On SEO
Initially when Google rolled out the Hummingbird algorithm not a lot of SEO experts thought good of it. It was a major source of discomfort as the algorithm was new and not a lot of people knew how it worked. Experts were concerned that the algorithm would decrease organic traffic from google. However, the results were phenomenal and it helped a lot of SEO experts with their work. Given below are a few details about how Hummingbird changed the arena of SEO:-
1. The hummingbird algorithm update focused more on the design and quality of the content.When google rolled out the hummingbird algorithm they didn’t just change how the algorithm works. Initially, when a user used to search for something on google it used to bring them information that encompassed only the keyword that they were searching for. Moreover, in the early 2010s spamming and low-quality content from websites, had started getting a lot of exposure. This was extremely unhelpful to the users. Therefore the new algorithm focused on the quality and design of the content.
2. Quality content and well-researched material started gaining more popularity. However to land a good rank on the SERPs it had become essential to produce high-quality content. This posed a major threat to spam sites and low-quality websites that were wreaking havoc on the internet. Now to do well on the SERPs there has to be relevant, high-quality content without duplicacy.
3. The hummingbird algorithm also solved another problem and that is it allowed users to type in long-tailed and middle-tailed keywords. The previous algorithm focused on certain keywords instead of the entire keyword. However, the hummingbird algorithm as mentioned above focuses on the intent of the user. Therefore it gave better and more accurate answers than the previous algorithm did. This algorithm enriched the experience of the users and save up a lot of the user’s time.
4. The algorithm set standards for all internet content. This quality control enables all websites to follow a standard procedure while producing content. This way all content is unique and is of significant help to the user. It is very important for websites these days to orientate themselves according to the standards set by the algorithm.
How to recover from a hummingbird strike?
If you are suspecting that your website has been hit by the hummingbird algorithm there are certain things that you can do to recover from that. However, there might be other reasons for the poor performance of your site. If your strategy aims to focus on matching keywords chances are your site may have been hit. Apart from that if you see a rapid decline in your traffic and a rapid decline in your campaign rankings then chances are that the algorithm might have caused it. In that case, you will have to re-access your strategy and make plans. Given below are a few tried and tested methods to bring back stability to your site:-
1. Unique Information
The algorithm promotes pages that have unique content. This means that your site needs to have quality and duplicate free content that cannot be copied by other sites. The research for your content should be extensive and your publishing activity should be regular. It also helps if your site has downloadable resources, reports and other components that are of use to the user. To sum it all up, you will have to publish high-quality unique content of your niche that can bring fresh organic traffic to your site. This will also help you get a better ranking on the SERPs.
2. Target your local audience
There are things that you can do to improve your local rankings. Publishing content that is appropriate and relevant for your local population can help you rank higher in the SERPs.It will also help in raising awareness about your site. Couple that with creating a portal for user-generated content and your site will do significantly better. However, one thing that must be kept in mind is that the information should be relevant. This strategy won’t work unless the information provided by your site is relevant.
3. Indexing and ranking by making use of the FAQ section
You can either update your FAQ section or create a new FAQ section to help users. You can provide answers for intricate as well as simple queries. This initiative will help you in the event of any advancements in the hummingbird algorithm. The best way to prepare for a FAQ is to know your audience. Therefore research questions that your target audience asks, check analytics and build or update your FAQ around these questions. This way you will be creating high-quality, appropriate and relevant content for your audience. This will in turn help you do well in the SERPs.
Tips to help your Website Secure a Better Page Ranking
There may be instances where your page might not do well in the SERPs.It may not necessarily mean that your page was stricken by the hummingbird algorithm. It may mean that your site requires some additional work or requisites. If your site is facing decreasing traffic and negative changes there are a few things that you can do, However, please keep in mind that there are about 200 factors that determine the page ranking of your website.:-
1. Use good quality backlinks. Many articles online will tell you the harmful effects of bad-quality links. If by any chance your website is using bad quality links make sure to remove them. It can be easily done by asking the backlink website to remove its linking to your website. Make sure to use the linking of relevant sites and if possible use links from local good quality websites.
2. Avoid black hat SEO practices. Avoid all of the following black SEO tactics which are spamming, duplicating content, unnatural and bad linking, excessive link exchange, excessive use of keywords, fake reviews or any activity that uses dubious means to increase traffic. These practices can have long-lasting negative effects and can be very problematic. These practices will enable your websites to perform negatively.
3. As mentioned above time and again make to produce well-researched, informed, authoritative content. It should be unique in nature and written in such a format that no other site can copy it for enlarging their profits. Duplicating content should be avoided at all costs. Google doesn’t take plagiarism lightly and will rank your website in the bottom-most pile.
4. Social Media Marketing is another good way of bringing in organic traffic. However, it requires a lot of commitment to stick through all the campaigns. It is useful in the long run once you learn how to maintain all of your social media profiles and actively pursue your social media campaigns.
How is the hummingbird algorithm different from the panda and penguin algorithm updates?
The hummingbird, panda and penguin algorithms all make sure that the search engine functions efficiently. However, there are a few key differences that segregate the hummingbird algorithm from them.
1. Hummingbird is an entirely new algorithm built from scratch whereas panda and penguin were built from pre-existing algorithms. The hummingbird algorithm considers 200 factors while assigning a specific rank to a web page.
2. The hummingbird algorithm targets the searching of the entire keyword whereas the panda algorithm focuses on displaying high-quality sites and the penguin algorithm focuses on analysing and decreasing the ranks of low-value websites.
3. The hummingbird algorithm focuses on analysing the content of a site before effectively displaying it to the user. Content is of utmost importance to this algorithm. Whereas the penguin and the panda algorithms function more or less the same way but their focus is on prioritising on setting a different standard.
4. Hummingbird was specifically designed to work better for mobile users and was an amazing initiative by google in the ever-increasing world of mobile users.
5. The algorithm enabled conversational search for its users, allowing users to voice search for answers. Therefore it focused more on the phrase or the sentence than individual keywords.
6. The intent of the user is something that the algorithm considers while looking for appropriate answers to a keyword. The algorithm analyzes the keyword and then presents suitable answers according to that.
7. The panda and penguin algorithm initially reported lost traffic and mistakes in ranking websites. These had a very negative impact on the web, however, the hummingbird algorithm had no negative impact and had a mostly positive influence.
The emergence of the Humminbird Algorithm had a game-changing effect on the internet. It removed the meddling of the black hat SEO community and set a standard for all sites on the internet. It also weeded out irrelevant content and spam sites and it emphasised the good quality, originality and usefulness of websites.
It discouraged duplication of data, and the use of poor links and encouraged websites to work harder in creating unique content and building up good and healthy links. Even though it changed things for the SEO community it was widely encouraged by the community for its usefulness and benefits. It helped the community tremendously and helped hardworking websites get the exposure they deserved. The algorithm was the perfect plan to bridge the gap between old spammy practices and modern SEO.
Moreover, it made things a lot easier for the users. Since this algorithm works best for mobile devices and conversational searches it is able to give very accurate answers. The focus on the entire sentence instead of a single keyword is a very beneficial feature. This feature is extremely beneficial as before the existence of this algorithm finding appropriate content had become a very difficult task.
The algorithm fixes that problem and does more it has drastically reduced the research time of the user and focuses on finding the most appropriate answers for a query. Therefore it can be said without a shadow of a doubt that the algorithm is here to stay and it is best to know how this algorithm works in order to be benefited from it and avoid strikes.